Late last night, Congress reached an agreement on the FY17 omnibus spending bill which funds federal operations through September 30, 2017. The bill is a mix of good and not-so-good news for youth service providers.
Here are six things you need to know:
1. It includes level funding for Runaway and Homeless Youth Programming ($119,121,000);
2. It increases Education for Homeless Children and Youth by 10% ($77,000,000 total);
3. It includes $43 million for Youth Homelessness Demonstration Projects in 11 communities and increases Homelessness Assistance Grants by $133,000,000;
4. It decreases funding for Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Programming, including mentoring ($3,000,000 less for State Formula Grants; $3,000,000 less for Delinquency Prevention Programming, and $10,000,000 less for mentoring); and
5. It extends the mandatory sunset date for the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness (USICH) one year to October 1, 2018.6. The Next Steps: The House is expected to pass the bill on Wednesday, which means it should end up in the Senate by the end of next week.
I always enjoy getting emails pertaining to my articles/blogs on my site. Your feedback is important to us....and we wish you the very best!
PS. You can now download "Taking You Beyond Where You Are Blogspot" on your Android Device; download the app today.
K. JEVON CHAMBERS, Th.D.
CHAMBERS CONSULTING GROUP
"Taking You Beyond Where You Are"
Visit our Other Links